...pointing our youth down the right path
Kathy often speaks at the Global Young Leaders Summit (GYLS) as well as junior and high schools from 24 different countries. Kathy’s experiences will open your eyes to the things you have in life, and help you to become more self-aware, as well as teach you respect for yourself, and others. Kathy’s topic for youth groups include, but are not limited to:
- Achieving personal goals and overcoming obstacles
- Bullying, labeling and stereotypes
- Communicating, listening, and making your words your best friends
- Contributing to one’s community
- Finding courage and eliminating fears
- Finding your way
- How to find love in all the right places
- How to think positively and use that thinking to solve problems
- Learning how to say “no”
- Parent and sibling issues
- Peer pressure
- Self-esteem and respecting yourself
- The acceptance of others and fitting in
As a result of her efforts, Kathy has received countless letters from junior and high school students ranging in age from 12 to 18 and educators alike.
- “We love u Kathy :). The experience you helped to lead us through and the inspiration that you are played a huge part in the change that occurred in all of us. Ambassadors, Alumni, Youth Leaders, Youth Coaches, and everyone else who has had the privilege of communicating with you, all owe a huge part of who we now are to you for that influence :). Thank you for making US better ”
- Sean G.
- “Thank you for everything Kathy! Your story was one of the most inspiring stories and touched me the most =] You have changed my life and every time someone asks me what I've learned or what happened at GYLS I would tell them about your story... I have retold your story 6 times already and every person I've told it to was so touched as well. I have learned so much from your story - from unconditional love, forgiveness, appreciation for my life and everything I have, and the strive for the what we want and believe in even if we think it is impossible. Thank you so much for everything. I love you!”
- Isabella T.
- “I can not thank you enough for the wonderful job you did at the District 5300 Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA). From the moment you began speaking you held those kids in the palm of your hands and for 16 and 17 year-olds that is no small feat. The evaluations completed by the students indicated you were a huge hit! More importantly, through your speech got directly to the heart of RYLA. Our goal for young leaders who attended was to look beyond the expectations that other might have for them and see what was in their own hearts. You demonstrated that the only real obstacle in the way of personal fulfillment and success for themselves, and those they lead, where there own perceptions. It was right on target! I want to sincerely thank you for all you did to make RYLA 2006 a tremendous success. Keep up the great work, Kathy. There are many more who need to hear your uplifting message.”
- Michael D. Driebe, Chairman, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards